February 7, 2007

Concert Review: the 88 with the Oohlas

I had to drag my butt to the west side's Key Club on Sunset Blvd for this show (on a Tuesday no less).

The Oohlas opened up the show. Fronted by the red-haired Ollie Stone, the band delivered some catchy power-pop/rock that reminded me of Belly. Good stuff.

The 88 came out in dress shirts and ties. Much like their wardrobe, the 88 are tight and well put together. Their music strays from the straight rock path always veering someplace interesting. I had never heard there music before and yet the craftsmanship in the songs made them feel instantly likable. They delivered a power pop/rock show that made me glad I ventured out to the Strip. They closed their encore with a spot-on rocking version of David Bowie's Suffragette City.

Bravo boys, bravo.

No comments: