January 7, 2007

Best Music 2006 - Lynn Roof

Here's mine - happy new year to you!! There's been some great music out this year. Here's some of my favorites, old and new:
Sean Watkins (guitarist for Nickel Creek) - he released a solo album this year which has one of my favorite songs on it, called "Hello..........Goodbye". It's so bittersweet - it's about 60 seconds long, and in a nutshell, he meets a girl after a show, they get married in his head, and then she says goodbye. It's wonderful. I've seen him play it live many times, and it never loses its sweetness.

Tin Hat Trio - I heard them on Morning Becomes Eclectic for the first time this year. I picked up Book of Silk, and absolutely adore it. They're hard to define, but jazz is the closest you can probably get with generic labels.

Finn Brothers - they released their 2nd album, Everyone is Here, and they're just as good together now as when they were in Split Enz back in the 70's.

People in Planes - I loved the song "If You Talk Too Much My Head Will Explode" so much, I got the album. Which was a great purchase.

Decemberists - they continue to be one of my favorites. I saw them at the Wiltern, promoting The Crane Wife - what an amazing show. The album is SO GOOD.

Oh My by Mellowdrone - this was my "summer" song. It's a great one to listen to while driving, and when my friend Arlene was here this summer for a visit, we must have heard it 5 times over the one weekend. So, it says summer fun to me.

Los Angeles by Wired All Wrong - a rock anthem song that's great to sing at the top of your lungs while stuck in traffic. "Los Angeles...needs a revolution!!"

I can't wait to hear everyone else's picks!

No comments: